Why are Instructional Design and the Library Departments promoting Open Education Resources and Open Textbooks?
Because they work!
Universities and colleges that have implemented ebooks that are open access resources have seen the following results:
- student withdrawal rates are lower/student retention is higher
- students report having a positive experience with OERs
- students view OER textbooks as being of high quality
- students express gratitude about the free cost
- OER is a tool of educational equity
- students performed academically as well or better in terms of learning outcomes with OER or Open Textbooks